Sunday, August 2, 2015

a clogged bathroom drain - an easy way to de clog it

 What is too awful when it’s about domestic problems......leaking roof? No....Water scarcity?  No... Insects? Not at all....all these we can manage with any mean but a clogged bathroom or kitchen sink drain!!!! Yes.... you have to work really hard to get rid of it. A clog is the block in the water drainage which restricts the waste water flow totally or partially and will progress as time going. This can happen to anyone due to multiple reasons; kitchen waste and soap foam can trigger this at kitchen sink whereas hair, dirt and soap again cause this at the bathroom drain. Once it happened it is better to de clog it as soon as possible, else it will tarnish your living at neighbourhood.
Our first remedy for such a situation is to call for a professional help, but our plumbers are really HARD workers!!! Yup they don’t approach it in a softer way; they prefer to do the cutting and demolishing job directly. As you know concealed plumbing is the fashion -now days -at our habitat, so that no one knows which pipe goes where and what kind of connection or junctions are present. Just imagine the situation where the plumber cut to deep your neatly (costly) tiled bathroom wall to find out the suspected blocked pipe? And how are you going to repair it to the prior glory...in most of the cases you are not going to get the very same tile again from the shop so the area will be marked as a souvenir of the clog with a different colour tile!!! All these will be a bit easy to digest if you are living in an individual home but if you are living in an apartment, the things are going to get more and worse. To repair your bathroom you may need to get the consent of your neighbours especially of the flat just below of yours. And if you are a tenant you will be fired soon for the mess caused.
I had come through this situation recently, that too twice!!!!! Both were at different situations. We were at a holiday at Bangalore in my brother in law’s new apartment    which he took for rent just few weeks back. Two days after we reached its been found that the kitchen sink drains a bit slowly...we took it simply as it happens at every home, if you put any food particles at sink and all you need to do is to flush it with lots water or just put some small stick or metal nail  and hit multiple times...
But here the situation was somewhat shoddier when we woke up the next day, the previous night waste water has welcomed us to the kitchen....still we didn’t took it so seriously as we are about leave the place to explore the Bangalore city. We returned in the night and the kitchen was just like that of the morning...if said precisely, as of previous night..!!! We started our rescue operation to solve it somehow as the owner also staying at the same apartment. We find out a long metal wire and tried to put it through the drain hole and it went in smoothly but didn’t worked as it started to encircle itself inside when it reached a corner...I need something which is flexible as well as strong ...it was fumes coming out of my head as I was experimenting various ways to deal with it within my mind...being a Para medical professional, the wild thing came to mind was an endoscope!!!! Yes if you went to your doctor saying you have block at your intestine, he will insert a tube with a camera attached to its tip in to our alimentary canal to find out what’s happening inside...same like here also I cannot see what’s happening inside and what is the thing which cause this nasty block?  My head was burning more and more and suddenly a bulb lighted ....yes its note possible to get an endoscope for this purpose but definitely possible to get one long hose...I ran to a wash basin at hall and untied the 2 feet long water connection hose, yes it’s flexible and strong. I tried to put it in to the drain pipe but it was not long enough to reach the block. Another thing came to my mind that is water...hydro electric power...yes we use water to generate electricity..water has so much power ....I had attached the other end of the hose to the tap and tried to flush the block, it worked partly as the dirt accumulated started flowing out through the drainage pipe to the room but still it’s not completely de clogged. I made my brother in law to run to the nearest hardware shop to get a long hose, after an hour’s search he bought me a 10 meter long transparent hose which i inserted in to the drain pipe and it went through the pipe as almost ¾ of the tube was in the drain hole. With full confidence I had attached the hose to the pipe and turned the water on again!!! no miracle happened but the dirty water  flowed in to room making our living more horrible ....I was running out of bullets....no more arrows left in my quiver.  I’m a Scorpio I will not accept defeat until my last breath...the wildest idea came to my mind...I had put the other end of the hose in to my mouth and blew through it after taking couple of deep breaths...hooooraaaaaaaaaayyyy.....an echo at the top of exclamation came out from everyone’s gullet....yes I did it....... I did it......it worked.....the whole dirty water accumulated on the drain pipe flowed out at once....operation success.

It came to my life again in the form of a clog at my apartments bathroom drain a week back, this time I was pretty sure of how to deal with it, hence I pretend careless till it clogged almost all. I had searched for a piece of  hose and found  a piece of ½ inch wide normal garden hose which was too much under of my expectation and I failed miserably in the first attempt, I hurried  to the security and grabbed our long garden hose and tried that through the water out let and blew forcefully.... a nasty smell has spread in the room with dirty water flooded from the hole...my degree of confidence was started fading  and i was like soldier without ammunition in the first part of the battle itself....I couldn’t try anything more that day except burning my head thinking what’s going wrong?
As it is a belief of the twenty first centaury youth that Google is the solution for all unanswered questions, I too tried Google with my current issue. A lot of options it gave me from using a simple drain claw to a wet type vacuum cleaner to de clog it. Again fumes started coming out of my head as I was started exploring all possible ways to de clog my bathroom drain.
 I purchased a one inch wide flexible hose the next day when I returned from office and enquired about a chemical which I heard before can dilute the clog, and bought 3 packets of it as a backup. I changed my dress As soon as I reached home and hurried to the bathroom which was almost like a battle field by then with the hose and stand like an idiot at the opening of the drain hole!!!yes the flexible 1 inches wide hose was not getting flexed enough to enter  the narrow hole which is almost in  a square  wide depth....I was such an idiot to forget that narrow opening....I came out of bathroom ......looser was the word  humming at my ear drum...and as I said before I’m a Scorpio hence I cannot accept defeat like that....

I had grabbed a knife from the stand  and cut the end of the hose in an angled way making the tip reduce in its width and tried putting it to the drain hole and it entered. I slipped the hose almost all then it hit the junction where I suspect the block to be present and blew with all my energy......a sound came through the wash basin at the corner of the bathroom but nothing happened to the dirty accumulated water on the floor. I was had the shock of my life that my trump card is on the table and nothing happened. I blew again and again till I started chocking but all went in vain. I had noticed the sound happens at the corner wash basin every time I blew through the pipe at the drainage, as I suspected the wash basin has connected to the same drainage pipe, but the water in the wash basin is flowing down freely without the sign of any block. I can see a donkey head at the place of my skull when I look myself at the bathroom mirror!! I decided to check the wash basin drainage more closely and removed the covering the basin and inserted the hose through its drainage and blew the water at the bathroom drainage responded as its of common origin... still I can’t make out where is the actual block is...I was continuously blowing and flushing through both the available openings to the drainage system and the amount of water at the floor has increased tremendously as I had to stop my task for some time. I decided to use the chemical powder, by believing at its action completely I had inserted the chemical powder through the wash basin hole and waited as instructed, but result was again negative. I started  feeling a vacuum in my head as it was drained out of ideas...suddenly vacuum came to my mind...I decided to apply vacuum pressure to the drainage ....no I don’t had a vacuum cleaner, if I had would have definitely used it instead of blowing in to the nasty hole. My idea was to create a vacuum by closing the other possible exit of air from the drainage that is the opening for wash basin drain. I tried first with paper but didn’t worked, hence I took my hair oil bottle which is round and long, covered it with enough wet cloth to fit it at the pipe and blew through the hose inserted in to the bathroom drainage, I can feel the pressure of vacuum but the water flushed back to the room through the drainage as there is no way for the air can escape. My head was burning like a coal engine to find an idea..I took one horlicks bottle from kitchen and covered it with a wet cloth and finally with a plastic carry bag so as to fix it properly at the bathroom drainage hole which is a quite big opening, and had completely sealed it. I had inserted the hose through the wash basin drain opening and blew, this time I hadn’t had much pressure but the water jumped out through the wash basin opening!!!.....I really understood that I’m at my goal...grabbed another piece of wet cloth covered the mid portion of the hose and fixed that portion in to the wash basin drain pipe ,tighten well and now its vacuum from both the ends and air has to find another way to exit from the drainage...took the moth end of the hose....Blew......a bursting sound fall in my ear and of water flowing after that but the floor is still flooded....I blew again and this time no pressure as previous...with trembling hand I had pulled out the bottle at the bathroom drainage hole kept to create and the water flowed very fast...yes I struck gold again with a clogged drainage.....it was 5 hours after I reached home and working at the bathroom...but I won it without troubling anyone at the apartment.
The moral of the story is, the hose is flexible and strong as it will pass till the first corner where the clog will be. Even though it’s difficult to find the clog at the drainage system but is easy to reach till the clogged area using a long hose and attach it to a powerful water tap, the clog will get open by itself...or fill the hose with full of water and blew through it with maximum pressure as much as you can ....and you will de clog the block- its sure..Easy and simple...








No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered By Blogger